http://goaswc.org/sustainability/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2016/02/aswc_green-300x110.png 0 0 mikaelaslade http://goaswc.org/sustainability/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2016/02/aswc_green-300x110.png mikaelaslade2017-12-03 18:59:102017-12-06 04:43:10Saving Energy in the Winter: 6 Easy Tips
When temperatures drop and days shorten, we tend to use a lot more energy. We’ve compiled 6 easy tips to help you stay warm and cozy during the winter, while cutting your electricity and natural gas bills and helping the planet.
- Block drafts with rolled up towels. If your heat is escaping through cracks and windows, your heater is going to have to work extra hard to keep up.
- Open the blinds on cold sunny days when the sunshine can help warm the building. Close them at night to help keep the heat in the building
- Use LED light strings to brighten up your room during this dark time of year. LED lights use up to 90% less energy than their iridescent counterparts, and they come in many festive colors.
- Moisten your air. Since water has a high heat capacity, wet air will retain heat longer than dry air, helping maintain a comfortable indoor temperature. Don’t panic if you don’t own a humidifier, houseplants add moisture to the air. Also, consider hang drying laundry which will moisten your air while reducing your energy use.
- Turn down your thermostat 5-10 degrees at night. Add some extra blankets and enjoy watching your energy use drop.
- During the holiday season, consider giving gifts in reusable wrappings. Americans produce 25% more waste between Thanksgiving and New Year’s. Festive cloth bags, decorative tins, repurposed bows and ribbons, and newspaper comics are fun decorations that reduce the amount of waste going to the landfill.